Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day Trippin´: Toledo

** This was written late last month, and of course I´m just getting around to posting**


Two weeks ago, we had yet another day off in observance of Dia de la Constitucion, or Constitution Day, in Spain. A few friends and I decided to take a last-minute day trip to Toledo, the capital city of the autonomous community of Castilla-La Mancha. Toledo is only 30 minutes from Madrid on the RENFE train.

We didn’t really have an agenda for our day in Toledo. We arrived in the city around 11 am and walked from the train station to the city center. We spent the first part of our day taking pictures and walking around the city. We ended up in this little park with a great view, so we decided to stop for lunch. The girls packed lunch for us, and we spent an hour or so just eating and relaxing.

The view from our picnic spot.

After lunch, we visited one of the city’s Synagogues as well as the Museo del Greco. The Synagogue was a nice change of pace, seeing as I’ve been in quite a few cathedrals in Spain and while I appreciate their beauty and history, I don’t feel the need to go into every Cathedral I come across. After a quick walk through the Synagogue museum, we took a quick caña break and then walked across the street to the El Greco museum. El Greco lived in Toledo, where he created most of his most famous works of art. The museum is a replica of his former home in Toledo. The museum wasn’t anything too impressive, but it was worth the visit. Oh, and did I mention that both museums were free due to the national holiday?

El Greco Museum

After getting our dose of art and culture for the day, we headed to a restaurant for café con leche and marzipan cake before catching the 5 pm train back to Madrid. It was a nice little day and I came home with lots of great pictures. Unfortunately I’ve been a bit sleep deprived and exhausted recently and I haven’t felt quite like myself, so I didn’t have a ton of energy. Luckily, Toledo isn’t a city you need to rush through, so I was able to power through the day. Anyways, I will leave you with a few extra photos from the day.



Toledo is known for their marzipan, a popular holiday sweet in Spain.


Don't miss out on marzipan cake in Toledo... so good!



Un Besito!

Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. My roommate and I loved the mazapan cake! I'm so happy another blogger found it. :) (I studied abroad in Toledo. Good memories!)

    ReplyDelete