Thursday, September 22, 2011

Segovia

Hola a todos!

Well, here I am again, apologizing for taking so long to post. I came down with a little flu last week and spent a couple days in bed, but I am fully recovered and back to enjoying Madrid again.

I took my first trip outside of Madrid last week! I’m not even close to being bored with this city, but I want to take every opportunity I can to explore more of Spain. My friend Tom and I decided to take a spontaneous day trip to Segovia, a small town about an hour and a half north of Madrid. We bought bus tickets through La Sepulvadena for 13E on Monday afternoon and journeyed to Segovia on Tuesday!

The bus ride from Madrid to Segovia was painless. First stop, the aqueduct! This thing is pretty incredible…

Next, we headed to the big Cathedral, one of the three main attractions of Segovia. It’s a beautiful building, but we decided to skip the 3E fee to tour the cathedral because hey, we can buy 2 caƱas for that (don’t judge me)! On that note, we stopped inside the next cerveceria we saw for a couple beers and tapas.

After refueling, we walked all over the city until arriving at Alcazar, the famous castle in Segovia. Entrance into the castle is 4.50E and is totally worth it, in my opinion. The castle is basically a museum with lots of fancy things like cannons and armor and it has some amazing views. It was crazy to think of what life would have been like when this castle was built.


Our last goal of our trip was to try Segovia’s signature dish, Cochinillo, or roast suckling pig. Of course we decide to eat during siesta, when practically every restaurant is closed! We finally found a restaurant that was open and ordered a menu del dia with Cochinillo and another once with chicken. I’m not gonna lie, we were a little nervous to try it…. Cochinillo is very tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside- like pork rinds meets peanut brittle. So it wasn’t my favorite thing I’ve eaten in Spain, but it wasn’t too bad. All in all, the food and wine were great!

After our meal, we headed to a little park for a quick siesta before hopping on the 8pm bus back to Madrid. It was fun to have a little getaway outside of Madrid, and day trips are an inexpensive way to do so. If you ever get the chance to visit Segovia, I would highly recommend it!

Besos,

Lindsay

0 comments:

Post a Comment